Wednesday 5 December 2012

Apple Cycle

The apple tree arrived in the post just over a year ago, a birthday and Christmas present from my partner. I love blossom - in hedges, in orchards, in city streets - and had been inspired by Fenton House's orchard and fruit and vegetable garden.


Our garden is tiny so I knew it could only be one tree: this espalier Egremont russet.


It had just a few leaves when it arrived in November, but by spring it was green and blossoming.


And then, though I wasn't supposed to let it in its first year, an apple grew. One day, in early November, I came home from work and my partner said to me in mock horror: there's been a disaster and he pointed out of the kitchen window at the tree. No apple! But all was well: it had become a windfall. Its time must have been ripe because it was sweet and crunchy and we were able to celebrate our first apple harvest.


Now the tree is almost bare again, just a few leaves clinging to its branches.









2 comments:

colleen said...

Hi Kitty
I've just read all your lovely posts. So gentle. This one has to be my favourite. Russets are one of my favourite apples and having been to Fenton House I can see why you were inspired.

May your windfalls be many in the days and years to come

Kitty said...

Thank you so much for your comment and kind words, Colleen. Fenton House is certainly a lovely place!